10 Questions with Joshua Dorothy

Thursday, September 2

Meet Joshua Dorothy, Tempo Board Chair

© 2010 Ripplinger Imaging

1. What’s your sign?
I was born in a timeless void.

2. Favorite opera?
Globally: Carmen. Seen at Minnesota: The Abduction from the Seraglio. Based on having seen one of Micòl’s arias in a very early workshop, I strongly anticipate The Garden of the Finzi-Continis will supplant Seraglio.

3. If you could have any other job in the world, what would it be?
Solicitor General of the United States, although arguably that’s just a greatly elevated and refined version of my current job (attorney). If I have to leave the law to be fully responsive to this question, then I would say: the host of Meet the Press.

4. What is your favorite dessert?
Some good dark chocolate and an espresso.

5. If you had to describe yourself using three words, what would they be?
Reserved. Loyal. Proper.

6. What is your favorite holiday?
Christmas. I highly recommend the all-French (including carols) Christmas Eve Vigil Mass at the Church of Saint Louis King of France in downtown Saint Paul, even if you’re neither Catholic nor French-speaking. It’s absolutely beautiful.

7. What was your first opera?
My first fully staged opera was The Marriage of Figaro.

8. If they made a movie of your life, what would it be about and which actor would you want to play you?
It would be more of a Ken Burns-style documentary: sepia-toned photographs and narration by David McCullough. That would blow the budget, so there wouldn’t be an actor playing me. But if George Clooney would donate his services, I wouldn’t say no.

9. Are you a morning or night person?
A little of both. I really hit my stride at about 10:00 – a.m. and p.m.

10. What’s your favorite thing to do in the winter?
Go for a walk after a fresh blanket of snow has fallen, or while it’s still flurrying.

2 comments:

Morgan G. September 3, 2010 at 8:09 AM  

Unsurprisingly, Mr. Dorothy has excellent taste in both dessert choice and how to enjoy winter! Certainly he is a man worth meeting at Opera Tasting (or another wonderful Tempo event).

Unknown September 27, 2010 at 5:54 PM  

Re: #3: I'm pretty sure I've heard Mr. Dorothy express a wish to be the next Marc Scorca...

Post a Comment

Find us

Tempo
c/o Minnesota Opera
620 North First Street
Minneapolis, MN 55401
tempo@mnopera.org

Friend Us



  © Blogger template Foam by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP